Exercise Physiology 4+1

Degree: Combined Bachelor of Science / Masters of Science

Limited Access: No

View 4+1 Curriculum / Academic Map (undergraduate portion)

View 4+1 Curriculum (graduate portion, non-thesis)


The "4+1" B.S. / M.S. program in Exercise Physiology provide academically talented students an opportunity to complete both degrees in a shorter time span (as opposed to pursuing one degree at a time). The 4+1 allows students to double-count graduate courses for both degrees (see below for specific courses).


  • Must be an undergraduate student in the College of Human Sciences, majoring in Exercise Physiology
  • Minimum upper-division GPA of 3.00
  • International students may need to take the TOEFL
  • GRE Minimum Requirements
    • 150 (verbal reasoning)
    • 150 (quantitative reasoning)
    • 3.5 (analytical writing)

Prerequisite Coursework

Students must earn a B minus (or better) in the following courses:

  • HUN 1201 - Science of Nutrition
  • PET 3322 and PET 3322L - Functional Anatomy and Physiology I
  • HUN 3224 - Intermediary Metabolism of Nutrients I
  • APK 3110C - Applied Exercise Physiology

Application Timeline

It's recommended that students discuss interest in the 4+1 with their advisor as soon as possible to plan ahead and ensure a complete understanding of the program. We have laid out a timeline for applying students to follow:

Fall of Junior Year Discuss with your advisor to plan ahead and ensure a complete understanding of the program
Spring of Junior Year Take the GRE now, allows you time to re-take if needed
  (MCAT is not accepted)
Summer before Senior Year Complete all prerequisite courses if you have not already done so
  Secure three (3) academic recommenders
  Finalize your CV (curriculum vitae) and a Statement of Purpose
Beginning of Senior Year Apply online for the M.S. program in Exercise Physiology *
(must pay application fee)
  Submit all application materials by October 1st
  • CV
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Recommendation Letters

* Application will be the same for students interested in the B.S./M.S. or M.S. only program